Save

The Founding of the Convent of the Congregation of st Catherine in Krakės in the 17th Century

In: Lithuanian Historical Studies
Author:
Vaida Kamuntavičienė Vytautas Magnus University

Search for other papers by Vaida Kamuntavičienė in
Current site
Brill
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
Open Access

The Warmian (Ermland) Braniewo (Braunsberg) burgher Regina Protmann founded the community of St Catherine of Alexandria the Virgin Martyr in 1571, which the Holy See confirmed as a congregation in 1602. The congregation of sisters took an oath of poverty, chastity and obedience, agreeing to serve people, to care for those who were suffering, and to educate society. The ideas of the Sisters of St Catherine reached the Diocese of Samogitia in the 17th century. Its bishop, Jerzy Tyszkiewicz (Tiškevičius), founded the Krakės (Kroki) convent in 1645. Due to political, cultural and other circumstances, the transformation of this convent into a community of the Sisters of St Catherine took longer than expected, happening only in 1689 when the papal nuncio Giaccomo Cantelmi confirmed the community based on the rule of St Catherine. This article seeks to show the foundation process, revealing the differences between the Samogitian Sisters of St Catherine and those in the Warmian bishopric.

Content Metrics

All Time Past Year Past 30 Days
Abstract Views 0 0 0
Full Text Views 209 22 1
PDF Views & Downloads 421 67 2